The History of Doble Jewellers
Soon after the second world war, 17 year old Ivor Doble began to learn his trade in watch making at St Loye’s college, Exeter. For money, Ivor was known to play the fiddle roadside to support his widowed mother and 4 siblings.
At age 21, Ivor struck gold at a local fare, winning a sack full of broken pocket watches and watch parts. With his skills learned at college, Ivor was able to restore the watches and save enough money to rent his first shop.
Ivor set up above a dentist and repaired watches for local jewellers. With gold being used so readily for repairing teeth in this time, Ivor was also able to learn about casting and melting the metal down.
Ivor married his wife Vera, the daughter of Arthur Golesworthy who had owned Golesworthy Jewellers since 1918 in Ottery St Mary, Exeter.
With Ivor’s watch making experience and Vera’s jewellery knowledge, they opened their first shop together in Cowick street, Exeter. As a highly skilled watchmaker, Ivor undertook all repairs upstairs in the workshop whilst Vera looked after the shop front, greeting and serving customers.
Ivor opened his flagship store in Sidwell St. Spread across 3 floors right in the heart of Exeter, this would cement Ivor in to Exeter and the South Devon area.
Ivor and the team would pitch up at shows across the county. Pictured here at the Devon County show.
Ivor’s son, John joined at age 17 and trained at Plymouth jewellery college. He trained in all aspects of the trade including clock making, goldsmithing, insurance valuations and sales.
Our Torquay store is opened on the high street, lead by son John Doble.
After years of supporting the team as a loyal Exeter man, Ivor became involved with Exeter City Football Club and was soon was elected as chairman of the club.
Ivor and John expanded further across Devon with a shop towards the bottom of the high street in Brixham.
After finishing university Ivor’s grandson Roo Doble joined the business, training underneath both Ivor and John.
With 3 family members now in the business, Doble Jewellers opened their fifth shop, at the renowned Jewellery shop on Totnes high street. This fabulous shop has been a jewellers since 1815 and a pub for over 300 years before that, so it was a proud moment to put the Doble Jewellers name above the door.
Celebrating 100 years of trading across 4 generations and with 5 locations across the South West of England, we started work on creating more cohesiveness between the stores. First up, was rebranding the shops to trade underneath one name – Doble Jewellers.
Grandson Roo Doble, oversaw the grand renovation project of the Sidwell St, Exeter flagship store. We created two entirely new floors of retail space, adding in an entire floor to house our vintage watch collection which pays homage to our beginnings with watchmaker Ivor.
A state of the art workshop was built with meant we could expand our repair and bespoke work capacity. 3 goldsmiths now work full time making and repairing gorgeous jewellery for our loyal clients.